Sunday, August 18, 2013

MOVIE - Blue Jasmine

PG-13 (1:38)
Limited release 7/26/13
El Con, after school on Friday, 8-16-13
RT Critic:  89 Audience: 86
Cag:  4.5 Liked it a lot-especially the incredible acting of Cate Blanchette
Directed by Woody Allen
Sony Pictures Classic

Cate Blanchette, Alec Baldwin, Sally Hawkins

Fandango summary:  After her marriage to a wealthy businessman (Alec Baldwin) collapses, New York socialite Jasmine (Cate Blanchett) flees to San Francisco and the modest apartment of her sister, Ginger (Sally Hawkins). Although she's in a fragile emotional state and lacks job skills, Jasmine still manages to voice her disapproval of Ginger's boyfriend, Chili (Bobby Cannavale). Jasmine begrudgingly takes a job in a dentist's office, while Ginger begins dating a man (Louis C.K.) who's a step up from Chili.

My comments:  Blue Jasmine was quite a movie.  It wasn't what I would typically expect from Woody Allen.  The first thought that I'll always have about this movie is that Kate Blanchette is an incredible actress.  The next is that it's incredibly sad.  The thrid is that I love the setting, at least half of it takes place in San Francisco.  The flashbacks take place in New York.  I actually like the way it jumps back and forth in time - it takes no time to figure out when and where you are.  The movie is crafted beautifully, the story is told beautifully, but, for me, it's a really sad movie.  It makes any kind of sorry I feel for myself to away instantly.

No comments: