Sunday, January 6, 2013

Movie - A Late Quartet


R (1:45)
Limited Release 11/2/12
on dvd 2/5/13
Viewed 1/6/13, Sunday matinee at Crossroads
RT Critic: 72  Audience: 74
Cag: Liked it more than I thought I would at the beginning - actually, a whole lot (4)
Directed by Yaron Zilberman
Entertainment One

Philip Seymour Hoffman, Christopher Walken, Catherine Keener

For the first fifteen minutes, I was sure this wouldn't be one of my favorites.  For one, I didn't like most of the characters (I softened about most of them by then end of the movie).  For another, it's totally about classical music (with a lot of listening to it)....not my cuppa tea at all.  But I really enjoyed the way the characters and plotline began to grow and move, taking closer and closer looks at the inner workings of this group of friends.  I ended up enjoying it very much......and Philip Seymour Hoffman continues to be a terrific actor.  Christopher Walken takes on the beginnings-of-Parkinsons role quite well, though this was a bit hard for me, reminding me so much of what my mother must have gone through, mentally.

From Fandango:   On the eve of a world renowned string quartet’s 25th anniversary season, their beloved cellist, Peter Mitchell (Christopher Walken), is diagnosed with the early symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease. When Peter announces he wishes to make the upcoming season his last, his three colleagues find themselves at a crossroad. Competing egos and uncontrollable passions threaten to derail years of friendship and collaboration. Robert Gelbart (Philip Seymour Hoffman), the quartet’s second violinist, announces his desire to alternate chairs with first violinist Daniel Lerner (Mark Ivanir), after years of sacrifice and peacemaking for the benefit of the group. Robert’s wife, violist Juliette Gelbart (Catherine Keener) has a particularly difficult time grappling with the tragic diagnosis, as Peter has served not only as a colleague, but as a dear father figure since childhood.

No comments: