Sunday, October 16, 2011

Walking in Tucson: JDRF Walkathon

Can I do it in my Birks?  I'm gonna try!

Wednesday I signed up to walk in the 5K (that's 3.1 miles!) JDRF Walkathon here in Tucson On October 29th.  However, I am in mucho, MUCHO poor shape.  So, I'm in training for the 17 days I have left.  Scary.  But not only do I want to do this, I WILL do this!

The link to my pledge page is here.  There's a really annoying group of noises when you first sign on....the thermometer rises with a very racious sound, and then people cheer because I've already made my goal of $100.  SO, so exciting...but the accompanying cacophony is a bit irritating!  Apologies.

I'm going to estimate 2100 steps to a mile to figure my mileage.  But I must remember, every step is...well....a step! ! !  My body feels it, especially mty lungs.  And the intense heat and sunshine we're still feeling here in Tucson doesn't help.

Thursday, Oct. 13th:  Brandi Fenton Park (700 steps, .333 miles) 102 degrees outside!  A third of a mile doesn't seem like much, but it's a start!

Friday, Oct. 14th  ooooooopsssss...

Saturday, Oct. 15th: Agua Caliente Park (1175 steps, .56 miles) late afternoon, still 95 degrees, lots of shade and a surreal oasis setting.

Sunday, Oct. 16th:  Pantano River Walk & Lowes (1820 steps, .867 miles) a mere 93 degrees, mid afternoon, thank goodness half the walk was shaded by buildings and trees as the sun was in the west.

Monday, Oct. 17th:  Reid Park:  It's a flat, paved, 3 miles around the park - 'course I'm not ready for thant yet.  Parked in the Randolph Way lot. (2240 steps, 1.07 miles) 94 degrees at 4:45 pm.

Tuesday, Oct. 18th:  Part of the Rillito River Walk: Holy Cow, an unintentional 2700 steps (1.29 miles)!  I parked in the lot on Swan and walked west, first 1350 steps on the "trail," then returning on the paved bikeway (there were oodles of bikes).  Nice.

Wednesday, Oct. 19th:  Palo Verde Park, just south of Broadway a block or so east of Wilmot.  There's a sidewalk around the park, partial sun, some shade, that was 1850 steps around (.89 miles), so I added another 435 steps to ensure I walked over a mile.  I did.   (1.09 miles)

Thursday, Oct. 20th:  TWO WALKS!
First:  Tohono Chul Park.  After viewing the Day of the Dead exhibit, I hit the trails...for 2175+ brisk steps through the blazing midday sunshine!  (Just a tiny bit over a mile.)
Second:  Out my front door, north to Fifth, east to Chalet, then home.  About .8 miles

Friday, Oct. 21st:  Pantano River Park (from Michael Perry Park) 2825 steps.  Walked along the GARDENS OF THE ANCIENT SIGNS - pretty plantings, signs, and markers (and even under the Golf Links bridge!)  92 degrees on return, but it had gone down a lot since the beginning of my walk.  1.35 miles

Saturday, Oct. 22nd. Around the El Con Mall (through JC Penney, it was way too dark around the old Robinson's May end) just before going to the movies.  Added steps in the parking lot to increase the walk to over a mile.  2350 steps, 1.12 miles.

Sunday, Oct. 23rd.  Reid Park. From Randolph St. parking lot, along Broadway for a bit, and then back.  Hot sunshine.  3133 stps, 1.49 miles (I should have taken a few more steps to hit that 1.5!!!)

No comments: