Sunday, November 21, 2010

75. Bad Luck and Trouble - Lee Child

Jack Reacher #11
audio read by Dick Hill
Random House Audio, 2007
10 unabridged cds
13 hrs.
384 pgs.
Rating: 3.5 (a little to long and drawn out in places)

When I visited the Tucson Mystery bookstore, the owner recommended the Jack Reacher mysteries highly. She said you could start anywhere and did not have to read them in order. This is the first one that I was able to get from the library. It passed away many a mile on the road, I must say that!

Jack Reacher is a character unlike any I've "met" to date. He owns nothing (well...a folding toothbrush....), lives on the road, has no cell phone, no computer, no one to keep in touch with. The only clothes he owns are on his back, when they get dirty he simply replaces them. Okay..... He's a numbers whiz, and I love the way he plays with them, looking for primes, reciprocals, meanings....

In this novel, Reacher is reunited with the Army Special Unit team that he'd worked with many years before. There had been eight of them, and there are four surviving - trying to discover what caused the other four's murders. Frances Neagley, Dave O'Donnell, and (oh shoot, her name has just flown out of my head) join Reacher for a no-nonsense hunt and vendetta.

Reacher is loyal, smart, big, and has no problem killing. This part put me off a bit, but when I really thought about it, it made the story all the more real. He worked on adrenaline and it was payback time. I think some of the story was dragged out a bit, it could have been done in 8 discs instead of ten as far as I'm concerned, but it kept me entertained back and forth to school for a couple of weeks!

No comments: