Monday, September 21, 2009

The Girl's Like Spaghetti - Lynne Truss

Why You Can't Manage without Apostrophes!
Illustrated by Bonnie Timmons
GP Putnams, 2007
$16.99
32 pgs.
Rating: 3 (I really dislike the title)

Lynn Truss says "Every time an apostrophe appears in the right place, the Good Punctuation Fairy is made very, very happy." I LOVE the idea of a GOOD PUNCTUATION FAIRY!

There's a huge difference between:
The dogs like my dad. AND The dog's like my dad.

or

See the boy bat. AND See the boy's bat. AND See the boys' bat. (Illustrations accompany to show the difference visually.)

Those smelly things are my brothers. AND Those smelly things are my brother's.

Illustrations are almost James Stevensons-y.

So many ways to use this in a classroom - make a big deal when an apostrophe is used correctly, create or find your own two "different" sentences, make a class book when there's enough - if brought up enough, kids will really learn!

(And how about pointing out some of the homonyms that kids mix up - from fourth grade all the way up the ladder - and reward them when used correctly. Yup, too/to/two and especially there/their/they're......)

No comments: