Sunday, May 31, 2009

MOVIE - Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont

Wonderful
On Demand - this morning, Sunday May 31st
Originally hit the screens 11/25/2005
RT: 69% cag 91%
1:48 (N)
Joan Plowright, Rupert Friend (he was "introduced" in this film...)
Direcor: Dan Ireland
from the book by the lat English author Elizabeth Taylor

I'm not sure why I loved this movie so much that I'm inclluding it here. I don't want to forget it. I even want to watch it again (which, other than for a very few, is unusual). It was really well done. It was beautifully crafted. It had great dialogue, a wonderful message, a touch of poetry and innocence and a whole lot of love. When it came out and was at the Loft I attempted to go see it on numerous occasions, but it never panned out. I'm glad...very glad....I finally got to see it.

An elderly woman and a young man become fast friends. The young man has chosen to live without material objects, making music on the street for donations, while he writes. He has no computer, only an old typewriter. The elderly woman moves into a hotel where other elderly people live, taking meals with them at separate tables in an elegant dining room. They sit separately and speak to one another only at the end of the meal. However, they become friends. The young man, at Mrs. Palfrey's request, pretends to be her grandson, Desmond. She becomes "Sassa" to him. Their relationship grows. They listen to each other.

This is a story of friendship. Friendship among lovers, among different generations, among lonely people. (However, what the story says about family relationships, actual blood relationships, leaves me a bit bummed. Is it saying that with responsibility, love and tenderness and caring become unimportant? I'm going to have to think about this....)

Yes, it's a thinking movie. I didn't intend to cry at the end, but a drop or two did roll down my cheek. I hate sad endings, though this only had elements of sadness, it was actually quite a joyful movie. I do want to watch it again.

RT Consensus: "Bittersweet and endearing, this film about aging and unexpectded friendship is a lovely vehicle for Joan Plowright."

No comments: