Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fool's Day - National Poetry Month

"The first of April, some do say,
Is set apart for All Fools' Day.
But why the people call it so,
Nor I, nor they themselves do know.
But on this day are people sent
On purpose for pure merriment."
~Poor Robin's Almanac (1790)

I love April. Growing up in Massachusetts it always meant spring was arriving full blast. Unfortunately, in Maine we had to wait until May, but I've always loved April. April vacation, shedding boots and hats and scarves, a bit of green here and there.... April in Arizona means the heat is rising, the cactus and widflowers and perrennials are blooming in brilliant colors, and by the end of the month huge white blossoms will be forming on the tops of the saguaros. And -- just a short time now to summer vacationl!

http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/41 tells more about National Poetry Month. April 30th is Poem in Your Pocket Day. More info at http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/406.

I've challenged myself to read or reread a book of poetry each day this month. I need to reacquaint myself with poetry that fourth graders will love. Gotta get ready for next year!

No comments: