Sunday, January 11, 2009

Smothers Brothers with the Tucson Symphony

Rating: Wow!
Performed: Saturday evening, Jan. 10, 2009
Where: Tucson Music Hall
WHAT A TREAT!

I've loved the Smothers Brothers since I was in the 10th grade and moved to southern California, I'd settle down in front of the TV on Sunday night and laugh and laugh. There wasn't a lot of laughter going on in my life at that time, which probably made this even more memorable. I even think some of my current social consciousness evolved from watching their comedy hour. And then last year when I taught part of my Greek Mythology unit to my fifth graders, we listened to their Aesop's Fable cd. Oh, are my students going to be jealous, 'cause they loved listening to them.

And wow, are they still "on." They celebrate 50 years in show biz this year. At 70 and 72 they look like only slightly older versions of their younger selves - they are still adorable, active, harmonious, smart, and very very very FUNNY. I laughed myself silly last night.

The first half of the evening was a performance by the Tucson Symphony Orchestra. It was delightful! Guest conductor Albert-George Schram, who looked like Einstein, enthusiastically led the orchestra in what was titled "A Fowl First Half." Each of the compositions had to do with some sort of bird - Rossini, Mussorgsky, Stravinski....and Chickenreel and Turkey in the Straw. It was really beautiful, and this conductor was super. His informative introduction to each piece even helped me identify the four bars that were repeated over and over, just in different sytle and tempo, in one of the pieces. Truly not a symphony fan, I enjoyed this immensely. Oh my.....

The second half was all the Smothers Brothers. The symphony joined in with them in a couple of places, which made it pretty special, but for the most part the audience was completely entertained for a good, long performance of their trademark comedy, harmony, teasing - with a performance by YoYoMan. Tommy still has it. Near the end they rolled down a big screen and showed photos of them as they grew up as well a photos and clips from The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.

What a wonderful show. What a great evening (it was even more fun because I got to see it with my friend, Terri, who loves the guys as much as I do.)

No comments: