Friday, March 25, 2016

19. Into the Dim - Janet B. Taylor

(Into the Dim #1)
I read the actual book for this one!
2016 HMH Books for Young Readers
432 pgs.
YA Fantasy/TimeTravel/Historical Fiction
Finished 3/25/2016
Goodreads rating: 3.78
My rating: 5
Setting: US/then England/then 1200 London Town....

First line/s: "Everyone in town knew the coffin was empty."

My comments:  From some of the reviews I've read on Goodreads, you either love or hate this book.  I totally and completely enjoyed it.  Sure there were a lot of things that made my adult eyes roll a bit, but it was a blast to read - time travel back to Eleanor of Aquitaine and Becket, family secrets and mysteries, a touch of romance - most of the young adults I work with will LOVE this.  Sure, dropping into London on the day of Eleanor and Henry's coronation and miraculously becoming acquainted with the most famous people of the time is waaaaay hard-to-believe, but who cares?  It sure makes a good story!  And although the book ends with somewhat of a question, I don't even have to wait for the next book  to feel satisfied.  This one did it completely for me.  Great first book, Ms. Taylor!

Goodreads synopsis:  When fragile, sixteen-year-old Hope Walton loses her mom to an earthquake overseas, her secluded world crumbles. Agreeing to spend the summer in Scotland, Hope discovers that her mother was more than a brilliant academic, but also a member of a secret society of time travelers. Trapped in the twelfth century in the age of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Hope has seventy-two hours to rescue her mother and get back to their own time. Along the way, her path collides with that of a mysterious boy who could be vital to her mission . . . or the key to Hope’s undoing.

No comments: