Tuesday, June 23, 2015

41. Mr. Cooper is Super! - Dan Gutman

My Weirdest School #1
listened to cd in the car with Ella
read by Andy Paris
2015 Harper Collins
112 pgs.
Early Reader - 3rd grade protagonist
Finished 6/23/15
Goodreads rating: 3.96
My rating: 3 (Ella says 4)

My comments:  I've read a few of the titles from the original set of these books (My Weird School), and found them funny and clever. (My Weird School), and found them funny and clever. (Perhaps because the others I've read were realistic fiction and this one was fantasy, and therefore unexpected?)   This one will be loved by young kids, I'm sure, but the story seems silly rather than funny.  However, since there's place for both with kids, this book will be quickly placed on my classroom shelf.

Ella's synopsis:  AJ and the gang (Alexia, Michael, Neil, and Ryan) watch Mr. Granite (their about-to-be-gone teacher) climb up a ramp and into a spaceship.  The class's new teacher is Mr. Cooper.  Mr. Cooper always dresses up like a super hero.  Mr. Granite comes back, but only to return the key to the teacher's lounge.

Goodreads synopsis:  With more than 8 million books sold, My Weird School really gets kids reading!
       In this first book in the hilarious new My Weirdest School series, part of the internationally bestselling My Weird School series, A.J.'s third-grade teacher, Mr. Granite, is retiring after a million hundred years. It turns out the new teacher, Mr. Cooper, is even weirder than Mr. Granite! One day he's Rat Man and he teaches about rodents. The next day he's Lava Man and he teaches about volcanoes. But what happens when a real superhero is needed? Will Mr. Cooper protect the school from evil, or just embarrass it to death?
       Perfect for reluctant readers and word lovers alike, Dan Gutman's hugely popular My Weird School series has something for everyone. Don't miss the hilarious adventures of A.J. and the gang.

No comments: