Thursday, April 30, 2015

MOVIE - Danny Collins

R (1:46)
Wide Release 4/11/2015 - but very difficult to find
Viewed on April 30, 2015, while I played hooky from work on my birthday
RT Critic: 78   Audience:   82
Cag:  6/Awesome  
Directed by Dan Fogelman
Bleecker Street Films
Based on the book by

Al Pacino, Annette Bening, Jennifer Garner, Bobby Cannavale, Christopher Plummer

My comments:  I think I've found a new favorite here.  The members of the cast were all terrific names and did a splendid job, especially Bobby Cannavale.   There was heart, there was humor, there was battling demons and addictions, there was sickness and health, there was family and the lack of it, and there was a whole lot of John Lennon.  Most of the music was his, and the turning point in the life of this aging rocker was a long-lost letter from him.  I was really into it. I just love the way the story was told, unfolded, a little bit of something for everyone!

RT Summary:  Al Pacino stars as aging 1970s rocker Danny Collins, who can't give up his hard-living ways. But when his manager (Christopher Plummer) uncovers a 40 year-old undelivered letter written to him by John Lennon, he decides to change course and embarks on a heartfelt journey to rediscover his family, find true love and begin a second act. 

No comments: