Sunday, August 12, 2012

44. Gone Missing - Linda Castillo

#4 Kate Burkholder series
2012 Minatour Books
277 pgs.
for: adults
HC $24.99
Rating:  4.5

1st line/s:  (from Prologue) "Becca had always known her life would end in tragedy."
(from Chapter 1) "My mamm once told me that some places are too beautiful for anything bad to happen.  When I was a kid, I believed those words with all of my young heart.  I lived my life in a state of ignorant bliss, oblivious to the evils that lurked like frothy-mouthed predators outside the imaginary gates of our small Amish community."
Setting:  Painters Mill, Ohio, a small Amish community, and other small Amish towns within a 100-mile radius during a contemporary summer.
OSS:  Kate and Tomasetti examine the lives of four or five different Amish teenagers who have all gone missing in recent years or weeks, knowing that the answers are NOT that they disappeared by running away.
.
Linda Castillo knows how to weave an interesting yarn, and there's always more taking place than just the mysteries that her protagonist is trying to solve. I really like the way that she keeps Kate's past torturing her a bit, entering into her relationship with John Tomasetti and the past that's torturing HIM.  Their relationship is tentative and real, and I really love the way it's being portrayed.  I enjoy the insight that Kate has into the lives and feelings of the Amish, since that is also her own background.  And I love love love the gorgeous words that Castillo uses in her writing, the descriptions she includes put me THERE.  I've really come to realize how important setting is to me.

No comments: