Monday, July 18, 2011

38. The Last Little Blue Envelope - Maureen Johnson

Sequel to 13 Little Blue Envelopes
for: YA
Harper Teen, 2011
HC $16.99
282 pgs.
Rating:  5

What's not to like about a teenager that gets to travel through Europe with plenty of money and on her own?  I loved the descriptions of the cities that Ginny traveled through....London, Dublin, Amsterdam, Paris.....I loved the wacky adventure that she encountered and the message that by not freaking out, things WORK out.  I loved the mystery of where the story....and her relationships with the other characters....was going to end.  That's what good stories do.  Keep you guessing, keep you interested, teach you a little along the way, and make you think.

Ginny has returned to London from New Jersey to complete the tasks that her dead aunt had set out for her before her death. But this time there is a mysterious, very tall, young man accompanying her, along with Keith, the "love interest" from 13 Little Blue Envelopes.  Oliver is an interesting, multi-faceted character that added greatly to the story.  And Ginny's infatuation with Keith, and her liking for Ellis, are real.  They are palpable, these feelings, as well as those for her dead aunt and her Uncle Richard.  I have purposely left plot details hazy, because I totally enjoyed not having a clue about what was happening or what was about to happen.  It was a good story, totally captivating the 18-year-old adventurer in me --- it's the sort of story that I'd love be part of myself, whether as an 18 year old, a 38 year old, or a 58 year old.

No comments: