Sunday, June 6, 2010

44. The Big Swim - Cary Fagan

for: Middle Grades
Groundwood Books/Toronto, 2010
HC $14.95
128 pgs.
Rating: 2

Ethan, a 12-year old boy who seems quite a bit younger, is forced to go to overnight summer camp for the first time in his life. He dreads it, but it's okay. The story is told in short stories that seem almost like snapshots (blurry snapshots). Much time is spent speculating about a "bad" kid, Zachary, who's supposed to arrive sometime in the summer. Once Zachary arrives he does seem quite interesting, not at all the "bad" kid, he just marches to his own drummer. However, we never really get to know him. The little we get to know the protagonist doesn't make us like him very much, either. I tried to figure out which of my students would enjoy this book. For the most part, I think they'd all consider it "boring," which I hate them to say.....but in many ways it was....

I really don't enjoy writing negative reviews. I feel badly. But this is not to be one of my favorites. Sorry.

No comments: