Wednesday, September 30, 2009

MOVIE - My One and Only

Very enjoyable!
Limited realease Aug. 21, 2009
PG-13
9/25 at El Con (alone)
RT: 70% cag: 71%
Director: Richard Loncraine

Renee Zellweger, Kevin Bacon

I hurried to the El Con to see Julie and Julia at 5:05, but I didn't make it there until almost 5:15. I would hate to miss the beginning (I still had to buy popcorn after all), so I went in to see this movie knowing only that it starred Renee Zellweger. I'm glad I didn't know any more than that to jade or shade (or whatever) my viewing. I liked this movie a lot, and I'm glad I didn't have any pre-supposed ideas about it when I sat down with my popcorn.

1953. Ann Devereaux comes home to her high-rise NYC apartment to find her husband, a band leader (like Ricky Ricardo), in an uncompromising position with the singer from his band. She takes her two teenage boys, buys a light blue Cadillac convertible with most of the the money she's taken from their safe deposit box, and leaves town.

Ann loves her boys, but doesn't really "know" them. She's beautiful, but the only life she's known is as the beautiful showpiece for a man who will take care of her, and that's what she goes after, whether it's intentional or not. But, oh, the men she chooses! There are four (I think) different suitors and situations that go from funny to sad to pathetic and even to silly. But, oh, what a ride! George, the younger son, watches what happens to his mother and longs for his old life in New York.

There was a surprise at the end which was delightful. It has been told in a few of the reviews I've skimmed, but it was most fun not to know while watching the movie. It would have definitely changed my "watching attitude".

No comments: